Update #3: I have enough people for the project, but I am still taking requests to join until the end of the night. If you want to participate and haven't sent me a note yet, make sure you do it soon!
Update #2: I'm still taking requests until tomorrow night before I decide who is doing what, but we definitely won't need anyone to make two squares now! In fact I am going to need to put a few people on the back-up list. Remember that being on the back-up list absolutely does not mean I don't think you are awesome enough to participate, it just means that we have a ton of people! Maybe if the people on the backup list want to we can make some extra squares and make matching pillow cases, or a second smaller wall-hanging quilt! Though I lean towards pillow cases because they wouldn't need batting and quilting. Let me know what you all think of that idea!
Update: I know I gave people until Friday night so there is still time for responses, but I haven't gotten nearly as many notes as I had comments expressing interest on my first post. If you want to participate please note me! I'm going to be sad if I don't actually get 35 (well 34 plus me) people working on this!
Here is the moment you've all been waiting for! The Pony Quilt Project is a go and now it's time to figure out exactly who is participating and who gets what square as well as hashing out all the details! Here are the major requirements:
- Each person will be responsible for making one 12x12inch square themed around the character they are assigned.
- Squares must be made out of quilting cottons. Do not make your square out of minky, fleece, velvet, leather, or anything else, just quilting cottons. If you have questions about what this is or where to get it just ask! If you want to add some tiny accents with other materials that might be okay, but please note me first to make sure.
- Quilting cottons can shrink. Please pre-wash any fabrics you use before you sew your square together so we do not get any uneven shrinking if someone decides to wash the quilt at a later date!
- You do not need to add any batting or quilting. In fact you should not do either of these things. .EquestriaPlush knows a woman who does quilting and she has generously donated her time to quilt the entire thing for us! I will send her the completed quilt top, batting, and backing fabric and she will assemble it for us and then send it back to me to put on the binding and add any final details!
- Once your square is complete you will send it to me along with any leftover scraps from the fabrics you used. I will use the scraps to make a border for the quilt which will help unify all the different squares.
- Squares and scraps should be in my hands no later than December 20th. This gives you four months to work on your square and will give me all of my Christmas break to work on sewing the quilt top together. This will let me get it finished and out to our quilter in a timely manner so she can get it back to me for the binding well before the charity auction happens. We want everything to be done sooner rather than later in case of complications!
- You may choose any method for making your square. Applique, piecing, embroidering some of it, etc, just make sure it looks fabulous! This is for charity and we want it to raise a boatload of money, so make your square as awesome as you possibly can!
- Remember that 1/4 inch of each edge of your square will be lost in the seam allowance so don't put any details all the way at the very edge!
Below is the list of ponies we will be including. You will send me a note with your top three choices and I will try to assign one of those to you. It is possible that I might need to assign you something not on your list, but I will do my best to give everyone a character they would really enjoy doing. Sending me a note now is committing to the project. Do not send me a note with your top three choices if you don't think you'll be able to get your square done in time! I will take notes until Friday, August 16th at 11:59pm PST.
After I have all the notes I will go through the list and figure out who will be doing which character. I hope to have character assignments figured out by Saturday night. Once I figure character assignments out I will send you a note with your character and you can get started as soon as you'd like!
If I have more than 35 people interested I will look at people's sewing skills to determine between choices. If you don't have any examples of your sewing in your DA please include a link to one in your note! You don't need to have quilting experience. I just need to know that you are adept with a needle and thread If you do not get chosen for a square it doesn't mean that I don't think you are good enough, it just means that we have too many people interested! If you are not chosen I will add you to a backup list and if anyone cannot finish their square for some reason I will contact you to make one! If you find that you won't be able to finish your square for any reason please, please let me know ASAP.
I've rambled enough about rules so let's get to the ponies!
- Fausticorn (*WhiteDove-Creations has specifically asked for this one and will be getting it signed by Ms. Faust herself! How awesome is that?! So don't bother asking for her in your top three as I will definitely be having WhiteDove make this square.)
- Twilight Sparkle
- Rainbow Dash
- Pinkie Pie
- Sweetie Belle
- Apple Bloom
- Doctor Whooves
- Bon Bon
- Vinyl Scratch
- Big Mac
- Shining Armor
- Daring Do
- Berry Punch
- FlimFlam Brothers
- Lightning Dust
- Nightmare Moon
If you have questions don't hesitate to ask them in a note or in the comments. This is my first time organizing something like this so it is entirely possible I left out some important details!
Also if anyone has a link to a 108/110inch wide cotton quilt backing fabric that you think would be just perfect for this, let me know! I'm on the lookout for something right now.